Monday, 13 February 2017

Top Five Etsy Finds - Hiking

Friedrich Nietzsche Quote Print by SnowdonPrints 
We always make a point of searching out walking and hiking opportunities wherever we go and already enjoyed great walks in Catalonia and Castellon this season. It's an ideal way to get out in the natural world and really explore a new area. For my February Top Five Etsy Finds I thought I would see what other Etsians have created to enhance the perfect hike or as gifts for hikers and walkers. As always, there's a fantastic variety on offer!

Many famous authors and thinkers were also obsessive walkers so my first choice is this apt Friedrich Nietzsche Quote Print by Alexandra Snowdon at SnowdonPrints in Manchester. It is available in a choice of three different sizes and four different colours Alexandra started out as a graphic designer, but then retrained and found her niche as an illustrator. All the lettering and illustrations for her prints are created by hand before being printed either by silkscreen or a giclee printer on Alexandra's kitchen table.

The Friedrich Nietzsche Quote Print is for sale from £12 for the smallest size, plus shipping.


Woodland Faerie Backpack by FolkOwl 
For a backpack with a difference you might like to visit FolkOwl in Whitstable. Angela Shannon created this gorgeous Woodland Faerie Backpack from vintage velvet and lined it with cotton, both dyed by hand, before embellishing the design with hand felted leaves and a handmade oak button. This bag truly is one of a kind and I love the rich teal colour! It measures 12 inches high by 12 inches across by 4 inches deep. Angela also makes similarly decorated hoods, cowls, capes and scarves and is happy to undertake custom orders.
If you're quick FolkOwl has a Valentine's Day sale running until the 15th of February. Buyers can get 25% off ready-made items only by using the checkout code LOVE17.

The Woodland Faerie Backpack is for sale at £100 plus shipping.


I Like Your Stile by ClareCorfieldCarr
I love the humour of this walking themed greetings card which would be ideal for outdoor-minded friends or relatives on many occasions as it is left blank inside. I Like Your Stile is inkjet printed from an original drawing by illustrator ClareCorfieldCarr who lives in Conwy. Clare draws all her illustrations by hand using fineliner and inks and then works into them digitally. She says, "I'm a very silly person at heart which reflects very much so in my quirky greetings cards range." 

I Like Your Stile is for sale at £2.95 plus shipping.


Chestnut Walking Stick
by MayflowerWoodCrafts
 
I never used to go walking with a stick, but since I bought a pair of hiking poles I wouldn't be without again. A stick makes traversing more difficult terrain so much easier and I have found that its use helps to alleviate backache after a long walk too. I would love a proper wooden stick and this hand shaped Chestnut Walking Stick is beautiful. It was made by MayflowerWoodCrafts in Colchester by steaming a length of stripped seasoned wood to get the curve. Currently the stick is 46 inches long, but can be shortened as required to enable use as a hiking staff, a farmer's market stick or a walking stick.

The Chestnut Walking Stick is for sale £45 at plus shipping.


Walkers Zipper Pull by ThimblesnObjectDart 
My final choice is the tiniest of the five and I think would make a fun addition to any hiker's outfit. This Walkers Zipper Pull is made by ThimblesnObjectDart who are based in Worcester. They cast their detailed motifs in pewter which is then antiqued and hand polished before the zipper pull itself is attached. The back of the motif is flat and hollowed out so it won't weigh its wearer down on those steep hills!

The Walkers Zipper Pull is for sale at £5.99 plus shipping.


That's all for my February Etsy Finds. I hope you love these items as much as I did, or at least they might inspire you to go for a walk!
Happy Valentine's Day for tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment