Thursday, 17 August 2017

Chickpea Cauliflower Couscous recipe

Chickpea Cauliflower Couscous 
Since discovering the quick lunch wonder that is Cauliflower Steaks I have also been searching out a delicious way to use up the rest of a cauliflower. I think I've now found the answer with cauliflower couscous. It's still amazing to me that a take-it-or-leave-it vegetable for me, one that I always used to consider pretty bland unless it was doused in a rich cheese sauce, is actually delicious when it is cooked in any way other than boiling it!

This Chickpea Cauliflower Couscous recipe is vaguely based around the Turkey Tagine recipe I blogged years ago (I think my photography has improved!). This version is vegan and doesn't actually use a tagine. The ingredients below made enough for two generous portions.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1/3 ish of a cauliflower
Pinch of saffron
1/4 tsp piri piri
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Salt and black pepper
400g tin of chickpeas, drained (reserve the liquid!)
20 green olives, halved
100ml water
Lemon juice
1/2 tsp bajan spice

First I diced the onion and garlic and set them to cook until softened in a largish saucepan with the rapeseed oil.

Blitzed cauliflower 
I struggle to wait long enough for onion to soften properly - impatient, me?! - but hate crunchy onion when it shouldn't be so have found that giving myself other things to do in the meantime is a good idea. For this meal, I tore the cauliflower florets into small enough pieces to blitz in my Mini Chopper (new toy, love it!). It needed two batches and the resulting raw cauliflower did look surprising like a pale cooked couscous.

Setting the cauliflower aside, I also opened the chickpeas tin and drained its liquid into a jar for later. I've recently learned that chickpea water is called aquafaba and is supposed to be an amazing egg substitute in baking. I'll let you know .... !


Back to the now-softened onion, I added a good pinch of saffron, the piri piri, coriander, cumin, ginger, salt pepper and stirred them all in. I went easy on the salt at this stage because I didn't know how much would come from the olives during cooking. I cooked this mix for a minute or so, then added the chickpeas, olives, water and lemon juice.

Stirring again to thoroughly mix, I brought the liquid up to a simmer then put a lid on the saucepan, turned the heat right down and left it all to gently bubble away for about 15 minutes. In hindsight 10 minutes would have been enough! The chickpeas were now soft, but fortunately not disintegrating!

I added the cauliflower, stirring thoroughly again, turned the heat off and replaced the lid, and left the cauliflower couscous to cook in the steam and juice of everything else for about 20-25 minutes.

Tasting just before serving I added a little more salt and a 1/2 tsp of Bajan spice blend for warmth of flavour. I served my Chickpea Cauliflower Couscous onto a warmed plate and enjoyed eating every mouthful!

Although I was very pleased with how this dish turned out, I would make a couple of changes when I cook it again. I think cinnamon would be better than ginger in the spice mix, or I might add ginger and cinnamon early on and dispense with the Bajan spice at the end. I would also add more colour alongside the olives as, while the meal was tasty, it doesn't look exciting. I do like colourful food! Perhaps a handful of peas or chopped red pepper would jazz it up? Suggestions welcome!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds yum. Definitely gonna try it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete